Many people might enjoy watching the latest forensic science show on television and believe they have strongly grasped forensic science and what forensic scientists do, but is that perception accurate? The phenomenon known as the CSI effect continues to attract significant debate as it can potentially impact all areas of the criminal justice system. This discussion examines popular perceptions about forensic science and the role this field has on the criminal justice system.
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, please review the following:
- From the text Chapter 1: Forensic Science and Criminalistics
- The web page CSI Effect Theory: Strategies and Views (Links to an external site.)
- The article The ‘CSI Effect:’ Does It Really Exist? (Links to an external site.)
- From the free PDF copy at the web page Strengthening Forensic Science in the United States: A Path Forward (2009) (Links to an external site.):
- Findings and Recommendations
- From the free, downloadable resource at the web page Crime Scene Investigation Guide (Links to an external site.):
- Section A: Arriving at the Scene
- Section B: Preliminary Documentation & Evaluation of the Scene
- The video All About Forensic Science
- The video Flawed Forensics: The System with Joe Berlinger
In an initial post of at least 250 words in length, and including at least one in-text citation,
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- Summarize the CSI effect and
- Evaluate if it is a legitimate concern.
- Analyze the effect’s potential impact on at least two elements of the criminal justice system.
- Identify how the reality of forensics might differ from perceptions resulting from popular television shows.