Develop a response to this question. Ensure you have answered all parts of the question completely. Complete this assignment described below using complete sentences in a paragraph format, and be sure to check your spelling when complete.
Please read the Discussion Board Directions located on the course menu on the left side of the screen before you begin to post or reply.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
It is now possible to have human embryos produced via in vitro (test tube) fertilization (IVF) tested for many different genetic diseases such as Huntington’s disease, muscular dystrophy, cystic fibrosis, sickle-cell anemia, a form of Alzheimer’s disease, and BRCA1 associated cancers among others. Those embryos that have the gene for any of these diseases will be discarded and only those embryos lacking the disease-causing genes will be used for implantation into the potential mother. The technique used to do this is called “pre-implantation genetic diagnosis” (PIGD). It is also possible for sperm/egg donor banks to carry out a fertilization event on paper before it is done in vitro.
This way, prospective parents can reduce the risk of having a child with some genetic disorder. There are also other genetic changes that might be done with PIGD techniques including the choice of embryos with specific gene combinations for eye color, height, hair color and others. Many traits will likely not lend themselves to modification because they are too complex.
Finally, the potential exists for modification of an embryo with a genetic disorder that would replace the ‘bad’ copy of the gene with ‘good’ copies.
- Give a detailed explanation of IVF. Be sure to discuss the various reasons why couples might choose to use this technique.
- Discuss the details of PIGD. What procedures must be done to lead to the production of a ‘healthy’ embryo. Be sure to discuss what ‘healthy’ means in this context.
- Weigh in on the topic of PIGD in conjunction with IVF pointing out what you think are the pros and cons of this developing and ever-improving technology.
Respond to Others: Read the postings of your classmates and comment on at least one other student’s response. Justify any comments you make with factual information.
Discussion Board Grading Rubric:
1. Original posting: (7 points)
- Posting is at least 100 words, and has proper grammar and punctuation (2 points).
- Posting fully addresses the discussion board questions. (2 points)
- Discussion is original and at a critical level, not just recitation of facts. (2 points)
- Proper citation of references. (1 point)
2. Reply to peer discussion posts: (3 points)
- Discuss one point you like/agree with, and one point you dislike/disagree with and explain why. (2 points)
- Length of positing consists of approximately 100 words minimum. (1 point)
ORDER THIS PAPER OR A SIMILAR ONE WITH Geeky Tutors AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT”